Cecilia has been working very hard the last week fine tuning her sitting up skills, and I am proud to announce she is officially a pro! It is very rare for her to tip over now, and she can pretty much reach for anything she wants with out falling over. She has even caught herself with her hands a few times, when she has leaned a little too far in one direction. I feel very comfortable leaving the room now and letting her play. She seems to be enjoying this new skill and independence.
With that, we decided to upgrade her bath situation as well. Last night, she got her first bath sitting up! She absolutely loved it! She was so excited the whole time; she was practically panting! I was nervous in the beginning that she would slide/fall over from all the excitement, but it never happened. At first, she just enjoyed splashing in the water with her hands, and then I put in some toys, and she loved chasing them around trying to get a hold of them! It took her a bit to figure out how to do it; she tried to go at them with one hand at first, and that just wasn't working. She soon realized she needed both to grab them, and then did great! When she got out, she had red marks all over her, from leaning on the bar, rubbing her thighs on the bar, etc..... She didn't seem to mind at all though! I will attach some pics and a video. Unfortunately, the battery on the video camera died, so I was not able to get any video once we added the toys. I am also going to have to work on the logistics of this new bath situation. It was a little difficult to wash her body and then especially her hair. For one, she is so excited and focused on playing that it is hard to get her too cooperate because she is moving around so much and is slippery on top of that! Also, I can't really lay her back to do her hair, and there is not room on the other side to lay her back; plus, the water is too deep now to lay her down. So we will have to figure out something!
We have also found that Cecilia still likes to drink out of a cup! We have been working with her on a sippy cup, but she seems to play with it more than drink out of it. It usually just has water in it, so I guess it isn't too enticing! I have also read mixed reviews on sippy cups with many doctors and therapists calling them glorified bottles, which they pretty much are! My ped told me to take the "no-spill" valve out before giving it to her, which I haven't done yet because it would be a total mess. And I have read to either train them on a straw or little cup with just a small amount of liquid. I haven't decided yet what I will do. I see their points on the sippy cup, but I think you definitely have to use one at times or else you will have huges messes to clean up all the time! So the other day, I held my glass of water for her to sip out of, and she loved it and did quite well! She did learn this skill very early....she didn't nurse all the great right after she was born, so for her first week of life if she didn't have a good feeding, we'd give her milk in a little cup, and she did quite well then too! I'll include an old pic b/c they are too cute!
Playing with her doll that she got from Alexandra for Christmas!

No comments:
Post a Comment