Monday, July 2, 2012

The Girls at the Doc!

I took both girls to the doctor this morning for their 4 year old and 18 month well check-ups.  I was advised by the doctors office when I made the appointment to either have another adult with me to help or to schedule the appointments separately, but neither of those happened, so off we went on our own!  It was hectic, but we did just fine.

Cecilia did everything first bc I knew she would cooperate, and I did not want Lily to start screaming and then upset/make Cecilia nervous.

Cecilia was 35 lbs (50%) and just over 42 inches (90%).  We saw a different doctor than usual, but I actually really liked her, and we may start requesting her in the future.  She started asking me a few questions about Cecilia, and then asked if I had any concerns about speech, and then Cecilia whipped around, and said some very long clear sentence, and the doc laughed and said "Ok, so no concerns about speech!"  I did explain that Cecilia does have a few sounds she has trouble with "L's, th's, v's" and the doc said that is very normal even up until the age of 7, but I have noticed that I am needing to help translate less and less to strangers (that Cecilia talks to ALL THE TIME at the store).  We also fill out a questionnaire at each well-check, and you answer yes or no to a series of questions, and you stop when you get 3 no's, and that tells the doc where they are developmentally.  Her questionnaire was for ages 4-6, and I was amazed that we almost made it through the whole form before getting 3 no's!  I think we only had like 2 questions left out of like 20!  I was so proud!  And of course two of her no's (I can't remember the 3rd) had to do with fine motor skills (drawing specifically).  Cecilia got 4 shots and was not too happy about them, but she sat there and took them like a champ, only crying a little after each one.

Lily was not really wanting to cooperate with anything - getting weighed, checking her height, head circumference, etc... It was fun!;)  So the doc came in, opened her chart, looked confused and said "Lily is....19 lbs???"  Like she was not sure if that was an error or something.  I said "Yes, she is, but she has always been little."  Lily was actually 19.6 lbs (still less than 5%) and was around 31 inches (remember she was not cooperating!), which is around 25%, so she is the same percentile for weight and has moved up from 10% for height.  They actually wrote down 32 in for her, but I am pretty her foot was not flat, so I decided to take an inch off!;)  Lily's questionnaire was for 9-24M's, and I am pleased to say that we made it through the whole form with only getting two no's!  Yay for Lily!

My plan was to go straight home and do lunch, but both girls (Cecilia specifically) were pretty pathetic (holding both arms out and acting like she couldn't walk) that I decided they deserved a little treat, so we had lunch at McDonald's on the way home!

 Cecilia asking Lily to "find" certain pictures in the book.
"Lily, where are the blueberries?"

 Playing with the hose - they seem to enjoy this
more than the sprinkler!

After everything that has happened this past week, I felt extremely blessed and grateful after their appointments for my two healthy and happy little girls!

No comments: