Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Everybody paints!

Cecilia LOVES to paint, so I am trying to do it more and more. She actually loves any arts and crafts activity, so I just made a really big order at Discount School Supply for all kinds of goodies. I am really excited and wished I would have gotten alot of the stuff a long time ago - but what can you do!?! After talking to her teacher, we are trying to focus more on her fine motor skills, so since she loves crafts, that is a perfect way! I have done some research recently and found an article that said that children usually fall into one of two categories - motor driven (they seek and are eager to engage in fine/large motor activities) and motor cautious (which don't or take their time in doing so). Cecilia is DEFINITELY motor cautious. Since she was a baby, I have always used the term "cautious" to describe her. And then to top that off, she is also a perfectionist and impatient and does not like to do anything she does not feel that she is good at, which I think is why she has never really enjoyed coloring, building blocks, etc... She sees what other people can do, thinks she can't, and therefore, doesn't want to try (usually whenever we color she spends 95% of the time talking about the colors of the crayons rather than actually coloring). I used to sit down with her and draw/build/etc with her to encourage her to do it as well, but it would either not work or end up in frustration on her part saying things like "I can't do it." So now, I try not to do the activity and instead focus on what she is doing and ask her questions about her creation to encourage her, which is working MUCH better. The little things you learn as a parent! So anyway we are kind of switching around our mindset on alot of things, and you will see that many of my "projects" for her will involve her fine motor skills to encourage her to use them and become more confident in them.

In that same mindset we are also working on her being okay with things that aren't perfect or just right and not getting super upset about little things. For example, dropping something while strapped in her car seat, accidentally ripping paper while working on a project, spilling something or making a "mess," not getting a toy to work the way she wants, etc...

Painting one afternoon.
She actually started with her "dabbers" that you can see
on the right side of the picture, and then switched to
paint and brushes, and then decided she wanted
to paint her hand and make "handprints"
This was a pretty big step for her bc she
does not usually like it when paint/marker/etc
gets on her hands!


Lily woke up during Cecilia's painting marathon and
had her snack while she watched C paint.
Once her snack was over, she just sat there with a
huge smile watching C paint. It really made me feel
bad, so I put some water on her tray, got her a paint brush,
and added a drop of yellow food coloring!
She. Had. A. Ball!!!


And this is why I chose food coloring and water
instead of actual paint!;)
After playing for a while, she ended up just sucking
the water off of the brush!

No comments: