Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Gymnastics!!!

As many of you know, I was wanting to hold off on any kind of "organized sport" for Cecilia for as long as I could. I know how busy life can become as the kids get older, and I just want to keep our schedule simple for as long as possible. However, thanks to that gymnastics birthday party last spring, C has been begging me to do gymnastics! Almost every day of the summer, she would ask me if she could go. Then when we started talking about school starting again, she'd say "No mommy, I don't want to go to school. I want to do GYMNASTICS!" So I am sure you can guess where this is headed, we started gymnastics last week! It is just a 10 week class that is Monday's at 4:15, so it does not interrupt our evenings or weekends. I also didn't sign her up until week 3, so not only was the price prorated, they dropped the price an additional $25 (I guess enrollment was down this session), so it ended up being a pretty good deal.

I signed her up last Sunday and told her about it after her nap, and I WISH I would have thought the grab the video camera to capture her reaction. It was precious - a combination or surprise and total elation! I went out the next day and got her a leotard, and we were set!

She ran into the class and jumped right in, like she had been doing it forever! At this age, it is a combination of gymnastics/learning how to control/move your body. They do multiple different "obstacle" courses at each class that are a combination of "fun" (crawling through tunnels, bouncing on a trampoline, etc...) and working on a skill (hand stands, walking on a beam, cartwheels, etc...) I am really glad she is doing the class because in addition to the gymnastics part (which I think will be a great foundation for any future sport), she is also learning to wait her turn, follow directions, listen to her coach, walk in a line, confidence, etc...

She has been to two classes so far and has almost mastered a forward roll! And I would say her favorite part is the trampoline and the bars (which was yesterday, and I did not have my camera). Some of the pictures are a little dark. You can see them a little better if you click on them.


Giving Lily a little lovin' before class.


Walking with her class with her "square" that
she sits on to wait her turn at each station.


She RAN in front of all the other kids to do this first
at the very beginning of her class!


Jumping into the mini pit.


Climbing out!
She loves that part.


Practicing a hand stand.



A video of the "beam" obstacle course

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I love this post. I love how happy she is doing this. And I love this little girl!