Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My little southpaw!

It is becoming more and more apparent that we probably have a southpaw in the house! Up until about a month or so ago, I was still uncertain of Cecilia's "handedness." She has switched back and forth quite a bit her whole life, and honestly, I kind of stopped paying attention. Then one day when she was coloring, she was telling me about what she was drawing while she was going it, and she was using her left hand - no big deal. Then she switched to her right hand to complete the right side of her picture, and there was a DRASTIC difference in the two - in the way she held the crayon, her coordination/smoothness of coloring, and then definitely the outcome on the page. I couldn't believe it! So I have made a point to pay more attention, and I think I can say with confidence, she is going to be a lefty, at least with writing. Since then, I have read that when little lefties are sometimes have a little trouble with motor skills bc for whatever reason they spend alot of time switching back and forth and not "perfecting" the appropriate side. I have never intentionally pushed her to be a righty and have always made a point to ask her what hand she wants to do something with, but just the other day, I found myself leaving her fork on the right side of her plate, so I am sure we have pushed right handedness on her without even realizing it! Since she is using her left more and more, I think she is "getting it" that that is the hand she should use, and therefore, she is getting better and better at drawing and coloring. It will be interesting to watch all of this progress!

Here is a blog post I found from when she was a little baby talking about me thinking she may be a lefty.....mothers just know!;)

http://cscbrady.blogspot.com/2009/02/birthday-celebrations.html


Using her left to spray.




Drawing with her left hand.






No comments: