Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Floppy Ear

Some of you may know or may have noticed that Lily has a floppy ear. It is her right ear. It is slightly bigger than her other, and it is much softer, "floppy." We noticed it soon after she was born, but assumed it was purely a cosmetic issue, so we did not bring it up to the doc until her first appointment at the office. We were told that she would need to see a specialist for it, but not until she is 5! Until then, we would just watch it, and it may go away on its own. It seemed to get a little better at first, but not anymore. I have a feeling it is here to stay.

Christian's ears stuck out when he was born and ended up with two surgeries as a young child to fix them, so he was always concerned about our babies getting them - to the point he looked for them in ultrasounds! Interesting enough, Lily's ear is not even what Christian had!

Surprisingly, I love Lily's floppy ear and have from the beginning. I think it is cute and gives her character, but I mostly like it because it is my daily reminder of how blessed I am. Of all the worry we've had the last several years, hoping and praying for healthy babies, fighting pre-term labor symptoms through both pregnancies, and in the end our biggest "health issue" out of both girls is a little floppy ear. I will be eternally grateful. I look at that ear every day and count my blessings.

I am sure she may not love it like me, so we'll cross that bridge when/if the time comes.

These pictures are both re-posts, but you can see her ear fairly well in them:


No comments: