Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I want a snack!

Cecilia loves snacks! She always tells me she wants a "snack." Even first thing in the morning or when I tell her we are having dinner, she tells me, "I do not want (bkfst or dinner). I want a snack." This means she wants goldfish, graham crackers, etc... Most of you probably know I like to feed my kids what I like to call "realistically healthy." I try to make smart decisions when I can, but I also like convenience and want my kids to enjoy all the yummies of childhood! McDonald's chicken mcnuggets were always my favorite as a kid, and I have great memories of being so excited to go there and get them! Needless to say, after I took the girls for their 6M and 3 y/o appointments today (post coming soon), we treated ourselves to Mickey D's, where Miss C got herself some chicken nuggets, skipped the fries (her choice), with caramel dipped apples and chocolate milk! And she enjoyed every minute of it, so did I!

Okay, on to the real reason for my post. I have gradually been feeling worse and worse about the amount of processed food Cecilia eats as she has gotten older and more particular, and the more I here how bad for you they are. I try to make most of her meals "whole" foods, and I try to get in fruit/yogurt/cheese with her snacks, but she still just loves her some "snacks!" So anyway, I am on a new kick to start "home-making" some of her snacks. I found a great blog with lots of good ideas to get me started. We went shopping this morning for alot of the main ingredients in these snacks...peanut butter, whole wheat flour, cocoa, coconut flakes, honey, wheat germ, chocolate chips, cinnamon chips (these were new to me, but were on sale, so I grabbed a bag to try!), etc... The bill was a little pricey, but many of these ingredients will last a while, and who can put a price on health, right?;) My biggest splurge is in the mail.....I ordered some sucanat last night! I had never heard of it before, but apparently, it is a sugar that can be substituted for brown or white sugar, and it is LEAPS and BOUNDS more nutritious than white sugar or any other sweetner for that matter.

I have peanut butter raisin balls in the freezer now, waiting for Cecilia to get up. Some of the other recipes I am going to try include graham crackers (honey, cinnamon, and choc), cheese crackers, mud balls (which sound like healthier no-bake cookies), granola bars, etc... We'll see! I hope Cecilia likes them! If I am going to spend the money and take the time to make them - she better!;)

And don't get me wrong.....I am sure we will still do our fair share to keep Pepperidge Farm in business!:)

No comments: